Friday, February 03, 2017

Gig: DJ Cheeba @ Archspace

Tonight was a bit of a let-down.

Originally booked for the previous Saturday the night was rescheduled, and then re-announced as a double-bill with Fhloston Paradigm. When I got there, which was as it opened, there was nobody checking tickets and I'd just walked in.

A couple of in-house DJs were playing for a few hours and the music could be described as eclectic but so was the performance with them letting tracks run out whilst they were taking a toilet break and the sound engineer tinkering with the sound, once again knocking out the left-hand speaker (which happened the last time I came here). In their defence they had an audience of less than 5, but this continued for most of the night. I don't know if it's Superbowl weekend or the wet weather but nobody had shown up.




Cheeba arrived a little late due to traffic but took the decks and played an excellent near-2-hour set including sections from his Double Vision and After School Special performances. It didn't matter that the crowd was only a few people; I took the to floor and got my groove on. At one point I was able to figure out that the crowd consisted of no more than the support act and their girlfriends, one friend of theirs, the promoter and his friend, me and one other chap who left early. 

I stayed til the end, had a very brief chat with Cheeba and then booked myself into a hotel for the night.

I'm not sure what these two would have thought but I hope he still got paid!

oh, and Fhloston never performed either...


No comments:

Tennessee

Tennessee is a landlocked state in the USA and is bordered by the following states. Kentucky to the North Virginia to the North-East Arkansa...