Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The joy of out of hour support

I work for a big I.T. consultancy. I won't put their name on here as they aren't worth the bytes. In my current role I'm in a team that looks after a client's home shopping website. It's an interesting job and I work with a great bunch of people but the politics and red tape that surrounds the company really puts me off it. Complacency has always been a failure of mine, I doubt I'd ever leave.

Part of my job sees me providing out of hours support, keeping the website up and running for those poor souls who go online at 2 in the morning. I always seem to draw the short straw when it comes to Bank Holidays, actually I schedule myself in especially so that when it comes to Christmas & New Year I have a strong case for not doing it.

So I've been spending the weekend dialled in checking the systems out. Not the best way to spend the August Bank Holiday Weekend. I would have much preferred being at the Reading Festival showing 50 cents the middle finger as apparently happened haha!

This also explains why I'm posting so early in the day. One of the stores just called in with some issues and I've had to go and check things out.

I have another couple of nights to go, then it's someone elses turn.

No comments:

Tennessee

Tennessee is a landlocked state in the USA and is bordered by the following states. Kentucky to the North Virginia to the North-East Arkansa...