Saturday, November 04, 2006

Environmental Rally @ Trafalgar Square

Stumbled upon this by accident, I was heading down to the South Bank but was aware of a crowd making their way in my direction. As I got to Trafalgar Square the rally was in full swing with people on the stage pontificating and groups of people wearing lots of badges banging drums.

Mr President Bush seemed to be the main target of hate for this particular campaign because he won't do anything about emissions from his country. There were certainly more placards with his face on them than anyone else.

It seemed ironic that a square that commemorates and celebrates victories of the war kind would be the site for a battle that I think the people campaigning are going to lose.

According to estimates there were around 25,000 people there today. I wonder if they count people like myself who were just attempting to pass through from one side of the square to the other. Now I know how it feels to be a commuter caught up in a flashmob!

It also struck me that for a rally that was all about not damaging the environment a lot of wood and paper had been used to make the banners.

No comments:

Tennessee

Tennessee is a landlocked state in the USA and is bordered by the following states. Kentucky to the North Virginia to the North-East Arkansa...