Skip to main content

Gig: Smile High Club @ Tobacco Dock

First gig of the year came on the 2nd of January, at a time when I'm usually working - I hadn't done anything over New Years for a long time and the milder weather meant I wasn't walking out in a snowstorm.

Smile High Club is a promotion that has done a number of events most recently at a Creamfields weekend, and with the smiley face logo they have strong ties to Fat Boy Slim who was headlining this event at Tobacco Docks, a multi-purpose venue that looks like an indoor market but with a couple of large rooms.


Smileys everywhere!


The Acid Converter was to the side of the stage in the main room and allowed people with no sense to be sprayed yellow and have a smiley face painted on. As the day went on (yes this was a day party) their faces started to run and they looked more like a mis-coloured Heath Ledger.


Visuals and lights were great, and the sound was pretty decent too. The promoters had done a good job. Crowd were very friendly too.


The second "room" if you can call it that was called the "Car Park" and once you found it you quickly realised why, it really was a long underground car park with the stage at one end and a much better atmosphere down here. It felt a lot more "real" like harking back to the warehouse parties of a few decades ago.


The set arrangement was a little odd with both headliners playing at the same time. Usually one stage is closed early so everyone can enjoy the main event. But given the capacity I guess they chose to run both concurrently until the end. Given the number of people at the event there was no way everyone would fit in one space, and that's not to say it was overcrowded; it wasn't at all. I guess the promoters were keen to have as many enjoy themselves as they could.

So did I choose the main room with Fatboy Slim, or the Car Park with 2manydjs? Well if you know my music tastes and how I've been stalking the Despacio guys for the last few years I had to see 2manydjs, so I chose to stay in the Car Park.


Managing to make my way down to the front (much easier than it appeared from the back when I entered) I enjoyed Errol Alkan's set. It's not the stuff I'd typically listen to but I've seen him live a few times in support for other acts and he always does a good job getting the crowd hyped.

2manydjs followed and were superb playing a lot of their remixes, some tunes from the Despacio nights, with Harry Thumann's "Underwater" being a favourite. Some silly girl tried to get a selfie with them at the start and in doing so spilled her wine over one of them and over the mixer, much to the DJ's annoyance. 

So, overall a really well run event, excellent crowd and some superb music to welcome me into 2016.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Show: Cirque du Soleil Tracker

Just a way to track the shows I've seen and have yet to reach. These are the current active shows. I've seen some others that have been discontinued (Alegria, Dralion, Immortal, Quidam, Saltimbanco, Zed & Zarkana)


This one I've seen twice. It was "Believe" in 2013 and "Mindfreak" in 2016.




This one is a commission for a theme park in France and is the end of day water-themed show.  Theme Parks and Cirque? How have I missed this one? (I'm hoping to get it this summer)

This one has just started its run.



This one has been in Australia and Japan for the last few years but is now back in the US. I've no plans to see this one.
I saw this one in 2016
This was announced in Brooklyn whilst I was on holiday in Manhattan 2016 so I added it.


N

Film: Your Name

Your Name is a very successful Japanese film that has made its way over to the UK. It has become the first non-Ghibli animated film to break the 10-billion yen mark so it's a pretty big deal. It's had a fairly subdued launch in the UK, and I'd only realised it was being shown here after catching a poster on the underground.
The tale is of a city boy, Taki and a country girl, Mitsuha who become inexplicably linked through their dreams and they decide to find each other. Without giving too much away the story is a little different to the usual love story, and has a good mix of comedy peppered throughout, in particular from Mitsuha's younger sister Yotsuha.
The animation is stunning and rivals that of the Ghibli camp. The story is clever, and you can probably tell I'm not giving too much away; to do so would spoil things.
Highly recommended. 

Gig: Jon1st & DJ Cheeba @ Echoes

The Soundcrash promotion team, who do some of the best live event promotion in the UK have themselves a little music space, Echoes in Haggesrston, Tonight's gig was two DJs who I've seen before but thought would make the night a good one.
I got there as it opened and DMC winner Jon1st was already on the decks.
He played a 90 minute set with a lot of scratching and some parts of the routine that won him the championship in 2013. 
This is his routine and you can see just how fast he is.
Time to switchover
Cheeba, who I last saw at BlueDot had brought his Double Vision show to tonight's proceeding. This has him working an AV set on 3 decks, 2 mixers and 2 laptops. With some of his staple clips including the Spinal Tap, Prodigy, Epilepsy mix (which is becoming my favourite AV section of any DJ) he kept the audience happy for the duration of his 90 minute set.
The two then got together to finish up with a little freestyle section including Jon1st scratching video clips of cats…