Skip to main content

Fair: Foire de Nancy

A few years ago I was visiting a travelling fair every other week, but in my attempt to wind that back I'm only going to go to good ones now. Word had spread of a rare rollercoaster appearing at a fair in eastern France and with a few people planning to go, and me having the weekend free I thought I'd hit it too.

I took Eurostar to Paris catching one of the earlier trains on the Saturday to take me to Paris.


No complaints with the seat and the continental breakfast was ok I guess.


The Eurostar was great and in a little under two-and-a-half hours I was at Gare du Nord station. 


From there it was a short 10 minute walk to Gard du Est station where I then took a 90 minute TGV journey to the city of Nancy in the Lorraine area (famous for the quiche). All of this worked really well, I don't think I've ever had a bad train journey outside of the UK, if I have it's rare and not the norm unlike the countless line closures we have to endure. Our stations have pianos, French ones have pianos and table football.

A little piece of graffiti next door to my hotel.

The room was adequate and I had a quick nap to make up for the early start before meeting up with a friend who'd driven from Germany.

I don't think I've ridden a Top Scan in over 10 years now. They're still popular, just not with me.

Let's get the first coaster out of the way. These toboggan rides are not good and we ride to tick not to enjoy. The restraints are usually not good for larger folk and I wasn't sure I'd fit but I needn't of worried, it was fine.

Whilst arguably not a coaster, the Bayern Curve was one of the better rides at the fair, with a really long program increasing in speed and force. At it's peak the forces were causing my leg to push really hard against the side handrails but fortunately it wasn't long enough to bruise....These rides are great but as powerful as these are, they still have a long way to beat the G-Force machine we found in Mexico.

In the back corner of the park was the second coaster, a powered Tokaido ride which like the Bayern increased in speed and forces in a really long program, I'm sure we did double digit laps in this thing.

Shlos was the first of two haunted ghost trains, this one featuring suspended cars and, rather surprisingly a live actor part way around who'd brush your face in the dark.

The third coaster was a wacky worm; squeeze yourself in it, ride it, never mention it again, move on.


The largest spin ride was easily the XXL.

The second ghost train was great. It started out as a standard ghost train with animatronics you've seen many times before. However towards the end the ride shut down, and the power went out, and then a guy with a chainsaw began attacking us. The chainsaw was rigged so it didn't actually cut you but it was being pressed against our necks and arms. Totally unexpected and liked afterwards...just terrifying at the time.


We'd saved the best coaster for last. Super Railway has been on the travelling circuit since the 70's I think and features a strange monorail style track. The trains will only be sent out with a minimum of 3 passengers, something to bear in mind if riding alone. It's also recommended to hold on at all times, something that becomes very apparent halfway around when you take the drop that isn't braked at the top like the others, the train drops quickly and with no restraints to hold you falls from under you, leaving you in the air like something in a road runner cartoon. One of the more extreme rides like this I've come across.

 

Overall the fair had a really good selection of rides with minimal duplication, which tends to blight the larger fairs we have in the UK.

How big do these fun houses get?



The Couic stand was a series of grabber machines with a guy walking around connected to a headset enticing people to play it. It was louder than it deserved.


For a quick bite it was suggested we try some Merguez, a spicy sausage originating from North Africa which had become popular in this region.


It did rain for a little bit and we were worried we wouldn't get on everything especially the Super Railway coaster but they continued to run them, even the kiddy gokarts which provided much mirth as the cars continually spun out.

The Bayern looked to be the most popular attraction at the fair.

Impressive kitchen set up. I can't believe they get through all of that each day...and walking past the next day seeing everything still like this implies I was right.




The Foire du Trone in Paris is on at the same time and is bigger than this fair but this one is still worth a visit. 


Finishing our evening with a few photos from the wheel.

I'm glad I did this, with there not being genuinely scary rides left for me to experience I'm glad I made the effort to visit this one.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Show: Cirque du Soleil Tracker

Just a way to track the shows I've seen and have yet to reach. These are the current active shows. I've seen some others that have been discontinued (Alegria, Dralion, Immortal, Quidam, Saltimbanco, Zed & Zarkana)


This one I've seen twice. It was "Believe" in 2013 and "Mindfreak" in 2016.




This one is a commission for a theme park in France and is the end of day water-themed show.  Theme Parks and Cirque? How have I missed this one? (I'm hoping to get it this summer)

This one has just started its run.



This one has been in Australia and Japan for the last few years but is now back in the US. I've no plans to see this one.
I saw this one in 2016
This was announced in Brooklyn whilst I was on holiday in Manhattan 2016 so I added it.


N

Gig: Jon1st & DJ Cheeba @ Echoes

The Soundcrash promotion team, who do some of the best live event promotion in the UK have themselves a little music space, Echoes in Haggesrston, Tonight's gig was two DJs who I've seen before but thought would make the night a good one.
I got there as it opened and DMC winner Jon1st was already on the decks.
He played a 90 minute set with a lot of scratching and some parts of the routine that won him the championship in 2013. 
This is his routine and you can see just how fast he is.
Time to switchover
Cheeba, who I last saw at BlueDot had brought his Double Vision show to tonight's proceeding. This has him working an AV set on 3 decks, 2 mixers and 2 laptops. With some of his staple clips including the Spinal Tap, Prodigy, Epilepsy mix (which is becoming my favourite AV section of any DJ) he kept the audience happy for the duration of his 90 minute set.
The two then got together to finish up with a little freestyle section including Jon1st scratching video clips of cats…

Park: Phantasialand

Our second park of the weekend was Phantasialand, one of the best "theme" parks in the world, and by "theme" I mean the park has spent a lot of money on the detail of the ride rather than on a license and a minimal attempt at associating the ride to that...Pay attention Six Flags.
So the park announced a new coaster Taron, and the theming looked incredible. The ride had received mixed reviews from those that had already gotten to it since it opened a few months ago so it would be interesting to see what we thought.
It was clear that a lot of the people in this park were here to ride this too, and the queue which was kept moving by the excellent operations still took around 2 hours to get through in the morning and was just over an hour at the end of the day.

The new area in the park is called Kugelheim, a Game of Thrones type Nordic town surrounded by impressive looking basalt arrangements.
The track is pretty long at over a kilometer in length and each ride takin…